Mgr. Petr Stejskal, LL.M., PhD., is lecturer and researcher in public international law. Petr´s focus includes international investment law, law of armed conflict, law of international sanctions/countermeasures, fight against terrorism, and the law of transboundary water resources.
Education and professional experience
Petr obtained his master´s degree in law at the Palacký University in Olomouc and graduated with honours in 2016. He wrote a thesis on the topic of “Coercion in International Law in the Background of Ukrainian Crisis”. Petr´s thesis was awarded the Rector´s prize as the best student scientific work in 2016. Petr also holds LL.M. degree in International and European law from the University of Amsterdam. Finally, Petr has completed his PhD degree at the Faculty of Law of the Palacký University in Olomouc. The topic of his dissertation was the protection of foreign investments during the armed conflict.
Petr has conducted several research and working stays abroad. He conducted internships at the Embassy of the Czech Republic in The Hague, the Permanent Mission of the Czech Republic to the United Nations Office and other International Organizations at Geneva and the Permanent Mission of the Czech Republic to the United Nations in New York. He was also a visiting researcher at the South African Research Chair in International Law, University of Johannesburg, South Africa.
At the Faculty of Law of the Palacký University, Petr is teaching in the courses of Public International Law (in Czech and in English), and Law of EU External Relations (Czech and English versions of the course).
Research fields and expertise
Main focus of Petr´s research interest is protection of foreign investments during the armed conflict, where multiple fields of international law overlap (law of foreign investments, law of armed conflict, human rights law, law of international treaties – interpretation, conflict of norms). He also focuses on the legal regime of utilisation of transboundary water resources, its link with international security, as well as the use and protection of water in the conduct of hostilities. The law of international sanctions/countermeasures also ranks among Petr´s interests.
- The Interplay of Fields of International Law in Case of Foreign Investments Affected by Armed Conflict. Czech Yearbook of Public and Private International Law. 2019, Vol. 10, p. 396-409.
- Potential effect of the law of belligerent occupation on the applicability of investment treaties in occupied territories. International and Comparative Law Review. 2018, Vol. 18, No. 2, p. 152-196.
- Mezinárodně-právní postavení zahraničních investorů v případě okupace státního území (International Legal Position of Foreign Investors during Belligerent Occupation). In: Šturma, P., Trávníčková, Z. (eds.). Jednotlivec v mezinárodním právu na počátku třetího tisíciletí. 2018, p. 175-188.
- War: Foreign Investments in Danger: Can International Humanitarian Law or Full Protection and Security Clause Always Save It? Czech Yearbook of Public and Private International Law. 2017, Vol. 8, p. 529-549.
- Ukrajinská krize a institut donucení v mezinárodním právu (Ukrainian Crisis and Coercion in International Law). Míľníky práva v stredoeurópskom priestore. 2017, p. 225-233.